The capital of Kyrgyzstan on the way to sustainable development (Bishkek and the SDGs)
• National Statistical Committee of the Kyrgyz Republic
Facts and figures:
• According to the results of the annual integrated cluster survey of households conducted by the National Statistical Committee, in the last 6 years, the population of Bishkek has almost full access to improved drinking water sources (SDG 6).
• The proportion of the population with sustainable access to sanitary facilities in Bishkek in 2020 was 97.7 percent, which is significantly higher than other regions of the republic (SDG 6).
• Over the past 5 years, almost the entire population of Bishkek has been connected to electricity networks, so in 2020, access to electricity amounted to 99.6 percent of the city’s population (SDG 7).
• 74 percent of Bishkek’s population lives in households using mostly clean fuels and technologies for cooking, heating and lighting, which is significantly higher than other regions of the republic (SDG 7).
• Over the past 7 years, Bishkek has seen an increase in the number of people employed in the manufacturing industry, which amounted to 18.8 percent and increased 1.3 times compared to 2010 (SDG 8).
• By the end of 2020, the prevalence of poverty in all its manifestations (monetary poverty, health, housing conditions, food security and education) in Bishkek amounted to 23.6 percent, which is significantly less than other regions of the country (SDG 1).
• As of 2020, the lowest maternal mortality rate (complications associated with the postpartum period and hypertensive disorders during pregnancy) was observed in Bishkek (19.1 percent) (SDG 3).
• In recent years, Bishkek has seen a steady trend towards a decrease in mortality from suicide (1.0 percent) and from unintentional poisoning and exposure to toxic substances (3.2 percent) (SDG 3).
• In 2020, about 98 percent of the population of Bishkek aged 15 and older had a personal mobile phone. At the same time, the largest proportion of the population with a mobile phone have a higher professional education (SDG 5).
• In 2020, about 88 percent of the population of Bishkek aged 15 and older uses the Internet. At the same time, the largest part of those who used the Internet were young people aged 15-28 and the population with higher education (SDG 17).
• The largest share of the area of green spaces and massifs in settlements is in the city of Bishkek (4.6 percent), which is significantly higher than other regions of the country (SDG 11).